If PCAP traces larger than 500 KB are needed, the PCAP Trace functionality of the Snom phone cannot be used because of space limitations.
- In this case, you can still capture packets coming and going to the phone by using a PC in the same network with the phone.
You will need to get all packets to and from the phone to also reach the PC, which you can achieve by:
You can find more informations about Ethernet capture setup into the Wireshark wiki page.
- Either using a managed switch which supports port mirroring and mirror all packets to the PC
- Or connecting both the PC and the phone to a hub
Once you have all packets reaching the PC, you can capture them in one the following ways, depending on whether you are using Windows, Linux or Mac OSX:
Alternatively you can store the PCAP on a USB stick. How to do this can be found in this article: How to store a PCAP trace into an USB mass-storage device
Windows or Mac OSX:
- Install Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org)
- Start Wireshark
- Start capturing: click the Capture menu, choose Options, press 'Start' for the appropriate interface
- After the test is over, stop capturing by clicking Capture -> Stop
- Save the capture by clicking File -> Save
Install tcpdump and run as root using command:
Where dump.pcap is the saved PCAP trace and eth0 is the network interface.