Starting from Hardware revision R3C the PA1 offers a recovery feature allowing you to flash the device with a new PA1 firmware.
- PA1 KDB wiring cables
- PA1 revision >= R3C
- PoE Switch or 2-port PoE Injector or a Snom 5V Power adapter
- Cat5e Network Cables
- Laptop or PC with Ethernet connection
- TFTP Server (Snom SPLiT application can be downloaded here https://github.com/pbertera/SPLiT/releases )
- Latest Snom PA1 firmware renamed to snomPA1.bin -> Public Announcement Firmware
The PA1 can boot in a recovery mode. In such mode is automatically configured with a hard coded Class C ( /24 ) IP address of 192.168.37.105. When the PA1 is in recovery mode the device will download the firmware via TFTP from the IP Address 192.168.37.38
- Isolate the PA1 from your production Network so that it will not try and obtain an IP address via DHCP
- Configure your Laptop or PC with a Static IP address of 192.168.37.38 with a 24 bit mask of 255.255.255.0. There is no need to configure DNS or a default gateway address.
- Connect your Laptop or PC to the the same PA1 network
- Make sure the TFTP Server is running, listening on port 69 and snomPA1.bin is at the root of the shared TFTP directory.
- Connect the KBD wiring cable to the PA1’s KBD I/O port.
- Shorten pin 0 (blue wire) and pin 1 (white wire) by connecting them together.
- While the pins are shortened, connect the PA1 to the PoE Switch plug the Power adapter.
- After some seconds the TFTP transfer will begin. You can disconnect the short after about 20 seconds after the PA1 boots up.
- While the rescue is progressing the following LED control sequence can be observed:
- Contacting TFTP-server and fetching the rescue file: red LED - ON green LED – ON
- Erasing the flash: red LED - FLASHING (about 1Hz) green LED - FLASHING (about 1Hz)
- Writing to flash: red LED - FLASHING (faster than 1Hz) green LED - FLASHING (faster than 1Hz)
- Rescue successful: red LED - OFF green LED - ON (stays like that, no reboot)
- Rescue failed (file corrupt or erasing/writing failed): red LED - ON green LED – OFF
- Once the recovery procedure is complete (red LED - OFF green LED – ON) place the PA1 back into production, login, and confirm the recovery procedure was successful.
- If the recovery failed (red LED - ON green LED – OFF) try the procedure again or contact Snom Support for further assistance.